Whatever your job, role, or lifestyle, we can all understand what it is to experience a last minute miracle. And before that, we can all relate to the stress and pressure preceding said miracle! Coming up on deadlines without a finished product is on no one’s agenda, ever. Because we work in print media, we are well versed in these last minute miracles and the song and dance it takes to make them happen. Well versed.
Take a page out of our book. Here’s some tips to weathering
the storm when you are in one:
• In the midst of a deadline crisis, you need to keep it together. Losing patience or alienating your team members or employees will not push you toward success in any way. Keeping up morale is your number one job on this. Give yourself permission to freak out privately, then step back and reevaluate the problem.
• When you are under fire on a project, it’s paramount that you acknowledge that fact as soon as possible and seek third party help. You have to allow for the miracle. If you don’t reach out, you lose out.
• Last minute miracles happen when people are confident and amenable to making some necessary compromises.
• As an employer, keep the attitude of a captain who is willing to go down with your ship. This is a posture that inspires.
• Finally, if it’s a matter of printing for point-of-purchase materials, a trade show, or a corporate event, let Documedia be your safety net! (Yes, a shameless plug.)
That feeling of relief that puts you back in your seat, eyes closed, breathing free… that is you escaping the train wreck and existing in the space of a last minute miracle. If you are under your desk in the fetal position right now, it’s time to cowboy up! You really do got this, El Capitan.